Monday 17 September 2012

Interesting and Unusual

Flowers are everywhere despite the sand and garbage. 

Villa on Road 84
I went for a walk with my camera around our little area of Maadi. There are many beautiful sights, like this flower and villa but I was more interested in capturing the unusual and interesting. 


All payphones are covered in sand and only take credit or calling cards.
This is a good one - it has a receiver.  The one on the corner by
Volume 1 (book/stationary store) doesn't have a receiver. 

Cotton Candy anyone? These boys were walking the streets selling candy after school.
This is a water station. Fill up your cup for free!
I'm afraid to fill up my cup at one of these.
Maybe someday if I'm desperate. 

This is a bank machine for the Arab Investment Bank.
Can only be used by their customers.
No cirrus sticker on this one.  


Notice the wild dog sleeping under the cart. These dogs are EVERYWHERE and they are always looking for food.





This is Nada. She read two children's books to us in Arabic and
then translated it for us.  She is 10 years old.  We learned "hi" and
colours but the only thing that stuck for me was "hi" -  Marhaban
The Maadi Public Library is a beautiful building with lots of books including an English section for adults and children. It has multiple computer labs, activity rooms and a cafe. Too bad everything on the activity board is in Arabic. A membership is 65LE which seems reasonable. Must supply your own photo for photo ID. They will let anyone come for a visit for 5LE.

This bench isn't going anywhere!
I feel safe walking around with my camera. Most of the time, the people like to pose. The kids LOVE to pose and then see their photo on the back of your camera right away. I want to print a few photos for the kids. There is a Kodak store close. I will put that on my to-do list. Photos of the kids will be a separate blog on it's own. I have so many already!
Mohammed's shoes. He takes care of our building.
Sometimes he wears shoes. We have a LOT of
photos of his adorable children.  







Coming up next . . . Golf in Egypt ....

No comments:

Post a Comment